There are certain ingredients that when paired together, guarantee success. Some of these include tomato and basil, cilantro and lime, lemon and garlic, cheese and almost anything, etc. One pairing I recently learned about was balsamic vinegar and berries.
Since balsamic vinegar is sweet and tangy, it’s doubly wonderful when used with fruits that are sugary. I’d been pondering ways to use the bottle I had in my cupboard (leftover from a pasta salad experiment.) And then one night I had a creative vision: grilled pita bread, topped with strawberries in a balsamic syrup.
This dessert is delicious and makes the best of summer: fresh, in-season fruit plus the smokiness of grilling. Continue reading to learn how to make this quick and easy snack.
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 cup strawberries
1 square pita bread, cut in quarters
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Mix the honey and balsamic with a small whisk or fork until blended.
- Pare and chop the strawberries into medium pieces.
- Gently fold the berries into the honey/balsamic syrup, making sure to combine them well.
- Grill the bread on low-medium heat (300 degrees) for 3 minutes.
- Flip the bread over and top with your berries mixture. Continue grilling for 3 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving=67 calories (not including powdered sugar).
I love this snack’s simplicity yet it also has a lovely combination of crunchy and warm with tangy and sweet. It’s almost like a healthier version of a Pop-Tart. Plus, you can count the berries as part of the daily recommendation for fruits/veggies!
This treat also works well with other berries or with a mixture of berries in your topping.
What food pairings do you love? Do you like to experiment in the kitchen? Have you